Friday, August 23, 2013

Kale for breakfast!

This morning I made the kale recipe below for breakfast. I added the vinegar while it was simmering, used ACV not red wine, less olive oil and added about 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper because I like spice.  You could add one slice of turkey bacon for 35 additional calories but since I'm staying very low this week, I didn't do that.  Approx 1/3 of a 500 calorie day so not bad.  I ate some raw celery with it, I do not count calories for celery, lettuce, onions, cucumbers or cabbage.  I won't count raw carrots either but I will do overdo eating raw carrots because they are a bit higher on the glycemic index.  Perhaps 2 or 3 raw baby carrots per day will be enough.  When I made the kale, it did have some bits of carrot and other veg because the stock I used is from a clear vegetable broth mix (no sodium). 


Bobby Flay Kale Recipe  (from the Food Network website)

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.

Per serving: Calories: 178; Total Fat: 11 grams; Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams; Protein: 6 grams; Total carbohydrates: 18 grams; Sugar: 0 grams Fiber: 3.5 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 336 milligrams

Link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/sauteed-kale-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback
 I drank some coffee today and haven't had the rest of my meals yet.  I plan to make some roasted Baby Bella mushrooms with a bit of pecorino romano cheese, sundried tomatoes and spices.  I will post my recipe and let you know how it turns out.  Next time I make kale, I may try some of the kale and beets recipes that I see on that Food Network page.

No comments:

Post a Comment