Thursday, August 22, 2013

500 Calorie Diet - Day 3

Well, here I am in the middle of day 3 and I finally felt my first hunger pang.  How I am coping?  I fixed myself a large cup of green tea and added a small amount of raw sugar.  It feels great, soothing and nourishing.

See, this is why no one will convince me that short term very-low-calorie diet is a bad thing for those in the "Obese" range of BMI.  Last time I tried to diet, I didn't feel any hunger for WEEKS.  I wasn't doing V.L.C. (very low calorie) then.  It took a long time to feel "empty".  It also took a long time to get any results.  My weight is up so high that if I have to wait two months to lose five pounds, I am going to quit.  I need to see and feel immediate results to stay in this game.

I believe the hunger does not kick right in partly because the digestive system is so overworked it sort of shuts down and thus, I was so loaded with undigested food and gas that it took 60 hours for me to even feel physical hunger.  Mental and emotional hunger?  Sure.  Mouth hunger?  Yes.  The impulse to habitually graze? Had to resist it.  But hunger pains? None until just now.

I remember in my healthier days, I would arrive home from work with a growling stomach, ready for dinner, because I ate the correct number of  calories and didn't sit around snacking all day.  In addition, I was active.  Thus, I would experience hunger every day.

This doesn't happen in obesity world.   The only stomach pains I experience there are the overfull stuffed feeling or some kind of gastric distress.  A little hunger never hurt anyone and nothing tastes as good as that empty feeling feels.  I embrace the hunger and learn to love it because it means I am treating my body properly and it means I am on the road to better health and a sexier silhouette.

Being able to wear all the clothes that I love, some of which I still own - oh, how sweet that is going to be.  Being able to walk in higher heels again!  I know I can.  Right now I am limited to just my wedges and maybe a 2.5 inch regular heel would be manageable.  I have sadly discovered the true reason why all my fat girlhood friends would "hate" on the latest heel styles.   "Oh, those are so UGLY" really meant: "I can't walk in them so therefore, I will save face but pretending to hate your trendy shoes.".  Thank god, I did not have to carry this weight as a teen or a single 20-something.  My heart goes out to all those suffering with this disease, but especially young women who have so many other pressures on them. 

I don't only do this for vanity, though. I do it for health.  I am not young anymore and I've been fairly lucky so far, healthwise.  I do not want to risk my health due to careless eating (the kind way to look at it) or gluttony (the brutal reality way to look at it).  

Back to hunger pains, yes, I feel them and they tell me that my body is functioning and is cleansing itself of these extra pounds.  I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment